Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Designing the Layout

August 8, 2012

Designing the Layout

There were lots of things to think about when I set out to figure out how to arrange the things I need in the back of Lizzie. Lists.  That's where I started. Lists of the things I thought I would need, lists of measurements of her back end, lists of the size of everything I wanted to include.

That took me to the computer and my graphics program to lay it all out and see how it all might fit. first I drew the layout of the space I had, then drew all the boxes and tubs and other things for which I had measurements. Then came the fun part -- how could I get everything in there so that it would fit, and, even more important, be accessible when I need it.

The first challenge was the bed. It was only about 7" off the ground, but the tubs I need to store under the bed are 9" high. How to make that happen without having to build anything.  I don't have sophisticated tools, or skills either, to build stuff. I also wanted to make sure that whatever I did inside the van wouldn't wreck the interior for when I want it to be just a regular minivan. I borrowed an idea from my quilting experience. In order to make those banquet tables that we often use for cutting or ironing taller, we raise them on lengths of PVC pipe that fit over the legs of the table. I could do the same thing for the bed. Luckily, I have a brother-in-law not too far away who can do some of those cuts for me.  So now the bed will be 10" off the ground and the tubs will slide underneath easily. They won't need lids, so when I pull them out, all the stuff in them will be accessible.

One of the things that some of my new on-line friends suggested is a bucket that I can use when necessary for, um, personal reasons. Lined with plastic bags and with kitty litter in the bottom, it makes an great chamber pot!  I bought a round circle of wood to put on top of it, and presto, a night table (when the bucket is empty!!).

The bed frame is all ready, the legs will be cut to size next week, and a friend had two pieces of thick particle board that is covered with a plastic coating that she didn't need. That dear brother-in-law will cut those pieces of board to size so they fit in the bed frame, then a 4" foam mattress on top, and I'll be set for sleeping. I even made a quilt to go on the bed; it's being quilted right now and I should get it back in a few weeks. Of course, I'll need more covers than just a quilt, but that won't be a problem!  I have lots and lots of quilts and other things that I can use. I'm not worried about being cold.

That's just the sketch, and I can hardly wait to see how it looks in real life. More to come -- next time I'll tell you about the challenges with the curtains.  Till then, happy dreaming!


3 comments:

  1. What will you do to keep objects from becoming projectiles in a sudden stop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point! Nothing will be that high (14" at the most, except for the table which I'll have to figure how to keep stable) -- bed will be wired to the floor, and I'm doing velcro on the bottom of the bucket to keep it hooked to the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Sally Go! This is so exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete