Saturday, December 1, 2012

Curtains

Curtains

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I spent mine thinking more about "the trip."  I did a bit more sewing and figuring out how to cover Lizzie's windows.

It's amazing what you can find when you go exploring in a car.  There are all kinds of covers and hidey holes that can function for your special purposes if you are willing to uncover what you find. For example, I have always noticed oval cut out shapes on the side posts right above the front seat belt attachments.  Knowing that I wanted a curtain across that space, I took my screwdriver and pried off the cover.  Lo and behold, there was a space there that would just fit the end of a tension curtain rod. Problem #1 -- curtaining off the  front seats -- solved.  That seemed almost too easy!

 The next problem is covering the side windows. That isn't as hard, because I can use bungee cords attached to hand grips that are on both sides of the car for the side curtains. Well, there isn't a hand grip on the driver's side, but there is a container there for sunglasses or something like that, and the bungee cord attaches to that really easily. Actually, I could also hook the bungee cord to the tension rod in problem #1 if I wanted to.  Since bungee cords have a tendency to droop, I will support them on the hooks built in to the sides about halfway between the hand grips. These will have to come down for driving, I think, because I'm afraid they will restrict my vision. But they are so easy to hang up again that I don't think I'll mind that.

That still leaves the rear side windows to be covered and I haven't figured that out yet. I need to screen them so that I can have some ventilation, but the screening won't be enough. I'll consider that over the next few weeks.

The rear window was a challenge.  There were more of those oval covers that could accommodate a tension curtain rod, and that would work for holding the bottom end of the curtain against the window, but I didn't know how to attach it to the top.


On a trip to the Container Store I found what I hope is the solution -- Command cable clips. The large ones can hold a dowel, and they won't damage the interior of the car.

I may need to shorten the dowel I have in place, to make sure it doesn't force the clip to release, but we'll see. I think it's pretty nifty! 
One of the things I learned while surfing other peoples' ideas for converting a minivan is to have the curtains made of a dark fabric so it just looks like darkened windows. I didn't want dark curtains on the inside of my "home" -- I wanted it to be pretty. So I just lined the curtains with a dark fabric, and when you look at the windows from the outside, you can't tell that they are covered. 

I've been making lists of what I think I need to have for a long trip like this (yes, my passport is on the list!) and I think I'm going to need a "shakedown" trip to test all this stuff out. Maybe in January I can find someplace warm to go for a long weekend....   Till then, Happy Holidays!






8 comments:

  1. It's just getting comfier and comfier! Also, it's clear from this post that Drew got his "fix it" engineering mind from BOTH of his parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are an experienced dealer of blinds and curtains. You can get our products to any corner of the chennai, TamilNadu thanks to our delivery system. Order the blinds for your window right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post is very informative and interesting.
    Window Curtains

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is providing good information. I liked it and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates. I really appreciated this post. Just want to say thank you for the information you have shared. Just continue writing this kind of post.
    bed scarf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Green Fenster is the leading suppliers of UPVC Partitions in Chennai. Our UPVC Products include UPVC Mesh Sliding windows, which offer perfect solutions to your needs.
    GreenFensterChennai

    ReplyDelete
  6. Green Fenster is the leading UPVC Window Manufacturers In Chennai, here we offer high class UPVC doors and windows. This makes us as the UPVC Door Manufacturers In Chennai.

    ReplyDelete