Sunday, May 26, 2013

One more day

Tomorrow (Monday, Memorial Day) is the day I leave. Everything I've been planning for the past year or so is coming together very nicely, and I'm just about ready to go. I just have to pack the cooler, and the valuable stuff (I have a safe for that).

So why is it that the you-know-what hits the fan on the weekend before I leave?  Things happen and they have to be taken care of -- things that I did not expect and did not plan for (well, not all of them).  So here are my whines for today:
     1. Went out to dinner with friends on Friday night, just like I do every Friday night. But this Friday night I ate something that wasn't "right", and spent the whole night and much of the next day fighting food poisoning.  Not fun, but luckily today I'm feeling much better.
     2. Friday's mail contained a jury duty summons -- for June 19-July 3.  Now I believe in doing my part and serving when called, but I served 9 days in September, and this trip has been planned for almost 2 years.  Hopefully they will accept my excuse and let me off for now. I'll be glad to serve when I'm back at home, just not now.
     3. Got home from church today to find my pantry overrun with ants.  These are a fact of life where I live, and I had called the bug guy last week to come and do his magic. But we have been trading phone messages for more than a week, and he hasn't come.  So I had to get out the can of Raid -- not my favorite product, but it's a last resort. Plus I had to empty much of the pantry and find out what the ants were feeding on (it was a package of rice mix that had a hole in it). 

So now my pantry is clean, my jury duty excuse is written and mailed, and my tummy has settled down. I wonder what other surprises are in my near future; whatever they are, I hope they are the good ones!  See you on the road...

4 comments:

  1. Really excited for you! Stay safe. Linda Wardell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes on your adventure, Sally -- it's so inspiring and admirable what you're doing. Have a safe journey, Kellun Turner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that always the way...it looks like you did a good job putting out the fires and now just have the open road ahead! Can't wait to hear all about the adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This sounds like a wonderful adventure. Best of luck. I look forward to following your travels. -- Lorna Sutton

    ReplyDelete