Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Cruisin' Kind of Day



 Note: if you click on the photos they will get bigger and you can see the wildlife a little better.

Seward has a lot to offer, but early in the morning I talked to the couple camped next to me, and they told me about a wonderful cruise they had taken the day before, and what they saw. I thought to myself that I might do that tomorrow, but on the way into town, I realized that today was a perfect day for cruising (sunny and clear), so I went to find out if I could get on one. I could!  It left at 11 AM (it was now 10) and it included lunch, so I didn't have to scrounge something to take with me! Somehow, the idea of being in the Kenai Fjords National Park and not seeing the Kenai Fjords just didn't make sense!

I love how the islands get lighter as they get farther away.
What a trip!  We saw sea otters, humpback whales, Orca whales, porpoises, Puffins, kittiwakes, murres (the last 3 are birds), stellar sea lions (although we were too far away for my pictures to look like more than a bunch of meal worms!!), and a fabulous humpback whale and cub at the end, after the battery on my camera quit L. The mama whale was teaching her baby about some of the maneuvers they can do, and it was amazing to watch them. There was a ranger on board who was very knowledgeable about all kinds of marine animal behavior. He had worked at the Sea Life center for 7 years, after retiring as a school principal. I guess this was his third life – park ranger!

Three sea otters.

Humpback Whale

Porpoise


Orca, one of a pod of about 19 who were all swimming around us

Puffin in the upper center of the photo if you click to enlarge it.

Not sure if these are gulls or kittiwakes
We cruised out of Resurrection Bay to the Holgate glacier. This one was quite different from the Columbia glacier that we saw out of Valdez. There was very little ice in the sea, and we were able to get quite close to the face of the glacier. 
Holgate Glacier

The jagged teeth at the top of the glacier make you realize that it's not a smooth highway!

I guess there was some sea ice – the crew netted some and used it for these margaritas!  The ice in them lasted for a very long time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment