Sunday, May 10, 2015

Food on the Road

Have you wondered how I take care of the food and eating issues on the road? Here's a short description of how it all happens. First of all, I like to eat fresh every day, and I can hardly stand fast food. Besides I really like to cook (and to eat, in case you haven't been able to tell!). 

ON grocery day last week, I decided to take some pictures and show you. My rule of thumb is that I only ever buy 4 days worth of meat, because that's as long as I trust it to be edible in a cooler. I also replace the ice every day so it always stays cold. I don't usually buy lettuce, but I buy lots of other veggies that I can eat either raw with dip or cooked in a stir fry or just grilled.  Breakfast is always eggs, usually with chopped onions, mushrooms and spinach (love starting the day with veggies!).  So here is the most recent haul. 
It starts with cutting up all the vegetables, like the red pepper, and the celery and onions in the small container, so that they are ready to use. Then everything goes into one of 4 Rubbermaid containers, according to what it is. There is one container for meat, one for lunch stuff, and two for vegetables. Eggs come out of the cardboard carton and into a plastic one; have you ever seen what happens when those cardboard cartons get wet?  Scrambled egg all over the bottom of the cooler!
They all fit in the cooler, with a place for everything and everything in it's place. That way I know where to find stuff that I need. 
                                                  There's even room for ice!!

This particular night it was a little chilly and I was hungry for comfort food, and for me, that's spaghetti.  I had bought Italian sausage, and I had onions,mushrooms and tomato sauce, so I made some on the camp stove -- not a lot, just enough for 2 nights.  Well, 3 nights as it turns out.  I still have two to eat, and I hope they will still be good when I'm ready! I also broke the salad rule that night -- I craved a salad so bought a little bit of lettuce and had a good one!
                                           Spaghetti sauce on the camp stove!

                              Almost time for dinner!
That's how I do it on the road!  Of course, for the past 3 nights I've been in a hotel because it snowed in Wyoming, and I may have to throw out some of the food, but it's been so very cold that maybe it will still be edible.  I hope so!!  Tomorrow I'm back on the road, heading for Independence Rock, just below the middle of Wyoming. It will be warming up, and I'm hoping for no more nights in hotels!  That's not what this trip is about...... 

1 comment:

  1. Of course I love the food details! Spaghetti on a camp stove seems so ambitious, but you make it sound (and look) do-able.

    ReplyDelete