Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Most Beautiful Campground in the World

After getting all the business stuff taken care of, my next stop was to be Twillingate. It's known for its icebergs – they float down from Greenland and are often seen right off shore, and occasionally they are grounded right in the bay at Twillingate. This happens mostly in May, June, and early July, so I was too late for the icebergs.  So scratch the cruise I had planned to take to see them.

The best place in Twillingate to see the bergs is a place called Long Point, with a lighthouse and some walking paths and viewing platforms. It's a very pretty place, and the views from the platforms were really incredible. Where you could see water color, it was green, almost emerald green, a most beautiful color. I spent several hours wandering around the grounds of the lighthouse, taking photos, and just trying to imagine what those icebergs must look like. 
 
The ocean below Long Point

Long Point Light House

View into the distance
Driving back to my campground from Twillingate I took several side roads just to see what was there. I saw some really picturesque sights, sharing them here.
 
Love these colorful fishing huts
Add caption
But the smartest thing I did on that part of the trip was stop at a provincial park to have lunch. It's a small park, called Dildo Run Provincial Park (yes, what a name….) but it is the most beautiful campground I have ever seen. When I decided that I wanted to stay here for a night, the ranger told me that the best site in the park was available and I could have it - #14.  Oh, my, he was right. I've never seen a site like it – right on the tip of a peninsula with ocean all around, and trees shading it. I was even able to get the back of my car right up to the picnic table, so preparing meals was easy!


It was a sunny afternoon (the eclipse was about to happen, but I didn't have glasses, so I just glanced at it and saw a chunk was out of the sun (it was at 4:30 PM here!) But who needs an eclipse when you have this to look at! The tide was coming in, so I sat and watched, occasionally going down to the water to see what I could see there. Partway through the evening, I decided that one night here was not enough. I wanted more! So I signed up for another night, and I've spent the whole day here, wandering the beach (as the tide goes out). This morning, the water was very smooth, and I saw something under the water, coming up occasionally, so went down to investigate. It was jelly fish, and there were 3 of them. They were softball size, kind of grayish brown, and just amazing to watch as they moved through the water.
 
Jelly fish -- you really must click on this photo to make it bigger

The tide is all the way out now, and there's lots of seaweed visible on the beach, so I can't really get close enough to see into the water. But you can be sure that tomorrow morning I'll be down there again, watching till I have to leave. This is one place that I will remember always, and will always be glad that I had the chance to camp here.

No comments:

Post a Comment