Wednesday, October 4, 2017

The Red Chairs

I couldn't write about a trip through Maritime Canada without mentioning the red chairs. Every historic site, every park, and even many of the museums have a pair of red Adirondack chairs positioned somewhere on the grounds. I didn't understand this at first, but once I read the plaque that accompanied the chairs I understood, and I was very impressed with Canada's emphasis on stopping to smell the roses.

Here's what the plaque says: "The red chairs placed in special locations National Parks and National Historic Sites are all about taking time to connect with nature and with each other. They offer a place to rest, relax, and reflect on the place you discovered and the journey you took to get there."

It's been quite a journey, and I have a lot to reflect on. Maybe I need a red Adirondack chair in my back yard!

Terra Nova National Park, Newfoundland

Port Royal National Historic Site, Nova Scotia

Cavendish National Seashore, PEI

Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site, Cape Breton Island

At Gran Pre, site of the Acadian deportation in the 1750's. Made famous by the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem "Evangeline"

I got to sit in one near Green Gables, PEI! 


No comments:

Post a Comment