Monday, June 24, 2019

Vancouver Island


I hardly know where to start describing this beautiful place!  I've been here for a week now, and haven’t even had time to write a blog!  I've been camping in Provincial Parks, the equivalent of our State Parks. They have all been beautiful, but primitive – pit toilets and no showers (I've managed to find places to shower, though!). 

The first was China Beach on the southern shore of Vancouver Island. It's a relatively new park, and although it says it's on the beach, the beach is down a cliff about ¾ mile away.  It's not the ¾ mile, it's the cliff – all 289 steps, plus lots of other uphill parts of the trail. But it was well worth it in the end.  There were several tide pools, which is what I love to see, and lots of driftwood on the beach.  The most fun part of this campground was a friend that I made!  Occasionally I run into other women traveling alone, and I met Jocelyn on the beach.  We talked for a while, then climbed back to the campground together (it's so much easier when someone else is doing it with you!).  The next day we both had plans to go to another beach (Botanical Beach) down the road in Port Renfrew, so we teamed up and went together.  More great tide pools, more trails from the top of cliffs, more steps, but great companionship.  
China Beach

Some of the 289 steps

Botanical Beach
The tide pools were full of baby crabs, mussels, and anemones – lots of anemones, including some really tiny ones! It was so much fun to go from pool to pool to see what might be there! 
 
Mussels, anemones, and baby crabs
That evening, we had a campfire together, with wine and s'mores – what more could you want?!! 
 
Jocelyn eating a s'more! 
From the south part of the island I came north and east to the Courtenay area, about half-way up. From there I was able to explore north, south, and east.  Campbell River is a town that was recommended, and it did not disappoint! On the way up, I passed a crowded spot on the sidewalk with some traffic congestion, and when I glanced over, I saw that it was a chainsaw carving competition.  Well, that is something not to be missed!  And it was great fun.  My favorite among all the fabulous carvings was one that a woman was working on of a wolf. As I looked at it, I could almost hear the wolf howling at the moon!  There were other wonderful carvings, including one that was the head of a woman on one side and the head of an eagle catching a fish on the other. It was quite amazing.  
 
Howling Wolf

Side one
Side 2





















I also hiked to a pretty waterfall called Elk Falls.  At the end of the trail is a suspension bridge that goes to a viewing platform on the other side of the river.  I looked and looked at it, but in the end I chickened out and stayed on my side of the river!  Suspension bridges just freak me out!  I found a lunch place too, that had great clam chowder, at a time when I had been craving clam chowder for several days – what a find! 


Elk Falls

The next day was a little more restful – a trip to the farmers market for strawberries and tomatoes, some of the best strawberries I've ever eaten!  Then a short hike to Nymph Falls in a small town to the east. 
 
Very tasty strawberries
The campground I'm staying in is really pretty – my site is right on the ocean and I can watch tides in the Salish Sea, several nights ago a cruise ship went by at high tide and the water lapping up on the rocky shore actually woke me up.  When I realized that there was also a beautiful sunset, I got up and got dressed again so I could go out and take photos. One of the fun things about this campground is that there is an eagle nest in one of the trees behind me. I've learned to distinguish the eagles screech, and also learned to dislike the crows that harass the eagle and also steal my food and get into my garbage.  
 
Campground view

Sunset

Today is a day for housekeeping – laundry, car wash, shower, clean the camper – one of those days that you need every so often!  But it's a great laundromat, with an entertaining owner, and it's a good place to write a blog.  Till next time……

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing adventure! Wine, s'mores, a friend, strawberries? Perfection! And what gorgeous nature all around you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pro's -- you are having a wonderful time and finding some really intriguing places along with adventures.
    Con's -- you are having too much fun and I am jealous.
    Am heading up to Anchorage on Saturday (June 29) for 15 days. Will you be in that area for a short meet up for tea or coffee? Email is judyv914@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete