Thursday, July 4, 2019

Whistler and Beyone

Whistler continued to be a source of fun new experiences.  Although I had ridden the gondola before, I had never seen a bear on the mountain.  This trip I saw three of them, although I only got a photo of two. They were feeding right near each other so I was able to get both bears in one photo! The scenery from the mid station of the gondola is spectacular, with snowy mountains, lakes, and pretty valleys. The town itself was quite crowded with people because it was a long weekend for Canadians – Canada Day.  Sort of like our 4thof July (which is today!). 
 
Bears!!
View from top of Gondola


The next day we went to the local lake, a very popular place to be on that beautiful warm day. The family had learned to paddleboard, and everyone took a turn (not me, though, my balance is really not good enough to do that). Even the dog (Hercules Mulligan) got into the act, especially after being bribed with a piece of salami.  
 
Ted and Hercules
The boys had been playing in the water when they came up to me and told me about some tadpoles they had seen in the water and they wanted to show me.  I used to catch tadpoles when I was about their age in the small pond that was just down the road from our house, and I was excited to see them.  There were a few here and there in the water, but as I looked around the lake, I saw a patch of water grasses not very far away, and thought we might find even more there.  The boys were thrilled to see great schools of them, enough to make a black streak on the water.  They caught (and released) handful after handful of the critters. 
 
George catching tadpoles, the black streak near the weeds at the top is a school of tadpoles.

Handful of the critters

The next morning I had to get on my way, and drove on the Sea-to-Sky Highway that goes from Vancouver BC to Cache Creek.  It's a beautiful drive through mountains and alongside rivers.  At one spot, I caught sight of an eagle in a tree, and as I looked closer, realized that there was another eagle, sitting on a nest that was perched on top of a power pole.  It was amazing to see it right out there in the open. 
 
Eagle on a nest
View of the mountains north of Whistler


That night I camped at a spot called Lac la Hache, a very pretty Provincial Park.  The only drawback there was the mosquitos, which flew around in huge herds!  I put on bug spray before I got out of the car, but a few still got me.  And the next morning, I discovered that either they were biting me through my pants, or several had gotten under the covers with me and done their dirty work.  My backside itched all the next day and night! Not the most pleasant day of the trip, I'm afraid!  

1 comment:

  1. Bears, tadpoles, and mosquitos! What an adventure, as always. So fun to read about your travels.

    ReplyDelete