Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cache Creek to Quesnel

l planned a much shorter driving day for today, and boy and I glad I did.  I learned a lesson yesterday -- stop and see what's there.  Read before you go, not after (duh). Remember that this is once in a lifetime. Yesterday I fairly flew through the Fraser River canyon and didn't stop to see anything, but when I read about it this morning, I realized what I had missed. I WON'T let that happen again.

One of the main attractions today was the town of Hundred Mile House. This road that I'm taking is the route of the Cariboo Gold Rush of 1858. When gold was discovered in the wilds of British Columbia, thousands of men (and women too, I suppose) rushed from California and Oregon to the wilds of BC.  The Cariboo trail was the route to the gold near Barkersville, and many of the towns along the way were supply stops for the miners. Apparently there wasn't much gold, but many of the towns have survived, supported by tourism, the logging business, ranching, and agriculture.

All day yesterday and today I saw roadside signs for fresh fruit and vegetables, and kept looking (and hoping) but these were left over from last year. Since I had to leave my apples at Sumas, and I forgot my pears at Carrie's in Seattle (I hope you and the boys enjoy them, Carrie!!) I've been wanting some fruit.

 Back to Hundred Mile House -- I stopped at the visitor center there (they had free wireless, so I did a check in on Face book) and had a lovely chat with the person manning the desk. She was incredibly helpful and informative, and as a result, I drove a few  blocks to Centennial Park. There is a trail along the river that goes to a waterfall that is just spectacular.
There are benches strategically placed along the path -- one caught my eye. I'm not sure if you can read it, but the sign on the left says "In memory of my first love...." and the one on the right says "In memory of my last love...."  I thought this was a very touching tribute to a woman's two husbands.
At last I came to the falls -- along with being very beautiful, they were very loud!!
On the way back, I saw this shrub growing almost in the water, and loved the red branches against the water and the green leaves.
There was one more sight today that was the first of what I'm sure will be many along the way!!




This afternoon I had a lovely time with a shop owner that I have been corresponding with a little on facebook -- we sat on the front porch of her shop and talked for quite a while and tonight I'm camped on Dragon Lake -- what a name!!  --  in Quesnell BC. Tomorrow -- who knows?  I just know that I'll be reading about it in the morning, or before I turn out the light tonight so I can be prepared!!


1 comment:

  1. I'm really enjoying the travelog! Hope you find many more lovely places to stop and enjoy the scenery.

    ReplyDelete