Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Sermons

     The pastor at my church is a really great story teller, and his sermons are often sprinkled with stories of growing up in Missouri or Ohio.  They always have a point related to the current Bible readings, but they are fun and they really spark your imagination. He often talks about summers in a cabin in Missouri, and draws wonderful word pictures.  One of his stories was about his Mother announcing that the family was going on a trip to see the source of the river along which their cabin was located. I know his mother, and I can almost hear her saying it!
     The descriptions of this source were so vivid that I wanted to see Bennett Spring for myself.  It's on the way to St. Louis, and only 12 miles off the Interstate, so when planning this long trip, I decided to leave a few days early and see this wondrous place for myself. Today was the day, and I'm camping right now at Bennett Spring State Park. It's early spring here, the trees are just starting to leaf out, the dogwoods and redwoods are in bloom, and the woods are simply lovely. There are a few sprinkles now and then, and it smells like the springs I remember growing up in Northeastern PA.  Here are just a few pictures of my camp, and the area. Tomorrow I'm going to walk some of the trails through the woods and see if I can find some Trillium, or Jack-In-The-Pulpits, or other flowers I remember from my childhood. Today I saw white violets, so maybe some of the other ones will be here too!
My campsite


Bennett Spring

;'
The River

No comments:

Post a Comment