Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Memories


   When I started on this adventure, my primary memory was of my friend Barb Eikmeier showing me a place along the Missouri River on Fort Leavenworth where the wagons crossed and made a swale in the river bank. I just spent 3 days with Barb and her husband Dale, and although we searched, we couldn't find the spot that matched my memory. We did find the Oregon Trail ruts that are famous on post, but this wasnt' what I remembered. Which just goes to show that memories can play tricks on you!

After those 3 wonderful days (I hadn't seen Barb for several years) the trip began in earnest. Out came the guide books and maps, on went the GPS, and I went searching for significant places on the trail. The first day was a little frustrating. Most of the sites are in the middle of the city -- a vacant lot between a couple of houses.  It didn't look much like a trail, but then 150 years have passed and many things have changed!!  One of the most interesting things that first day wasn't even trail related. I was in a park where there was a major crossing, and the guide book mentioned a red bridge. I found it, and when I got to it, was amazed to see padlocks fastened all along the railing on both sides of the bridge. It seems this is a new thing -- couples do this to "Lock in" their commitment to each other. Some of the padlocks were hand painted, but others were engraved, and there was an advertisement at the end of the bridge for a company that does the engraving!

The rest of the day was spent getting out of town (slowly) and finding other sites. This one was the most significant to me -- the parting of the ways.  It's where the California, Oregon, and Santa Fe trails divide; the California and Oregon trails go north, the Santa Fe goes south.

Time to find a place to spend the night.  I've discovered State Parks.  They are lovely, inexpensive, and so far all have had free showers (yippee). They have trees, sites are separated from each other, and this early in the season, there aren't many people camping.  It's been fun to discover these parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment